I had the great fortune to lead one of the Omaha Creative Institute‘s Working Artist Wednesday sessions with the topic of Building a Better Website. It was a whirlwind tour of the many things that are good to factor in when evaluating your site’s effectiveness – specifically geared towards artists.
While it’s really impossible to cover these things thoroughly in about an hour, we focused on these key concepts:
- Choosing a platform
- What a website is good for
- Integrating your marketing efforts
- Content and SEO
- Measurement and analytics
- Selling online
Then we stepped through some actual sites to review these key components in context. Questions and answers, lively discussion, and – most importantly – snacks – were enjoyed by all.
Here are some links to resources used and referenced in my presentation:
- My presentation deck (PDF)
- My quick site assessment worksheet (PDF)
- A very thorough and complete site assessment checklist by Gill Andrews
- Site pre- and post-launch checklist by Humaan.com
- WordPress web hosting by FlyWheel
- Web and email hosting at DreamHost
- Google’s G Suite for email, docs, and collaboration
Finally – I know our time was brief and we couldn’t cover everything or answer all questions. If you want to talk more or follow up, please don’t hesitate to contact me.